However, this is a critical issue in the current situation. Several workarounds are possible.
quick & dirty, but riskless, fix: prefix all affected strings (override rules / image variations / hostnames / ... ?) with an underscore, and remove this underscore when reading the setting. Since the normalization is only performed on strings that only contain hyphens, no conversion will happen.
This will be done transparently:
- when reading semantic settings, in a specific callback, IF one of the affected key contains dashes, we prefix it with an _
- the method that causes the bug is executed, but doesn't convert dashes to underscores, since the string already contains underscore (documented behaviour)
- before writing the settings in the application (in the container), we remove the underscores we have added
This means the change is purely temporary, and the system is in the same state before & after this limited part.