This was the first GraphQL implementation for eZ Platform, that was replaced by the generated schema, that suffers from several drawbacks:
- It has bad DX (you need to use fragments as in the example above to distinguish fields)
- It isn't finished (fieldtypes are hardcoded)
The generated schema does the same thing, and more:
- fields values, the most important part of fields, is exposed through the field's identifier
- content info can still be accessed through _info
- locations are also available, as well as URL aliases
Overall, most of the elements from _repository could be removed: location, content, searchContent, user, userGroups... even contentType / contentTypes are questionnable, as they are available from <contentTypeGroup>._types.<identifier> with a more convenient structure.
This "repository like" approach, where you don't depend on the configured types, is still relevant, but not for the mobile app / headless site approach. It should be reconsidered, and finished properly before it is released.