If a template is declared to override using the match by section_identifier, and the view cache is enabled, the cached versions will fall back to default templates and ignore the overrides.
1 - setting up the environment
- enable debug and list templates options in admin
- create a section called "test" (name and identifier)
- create a folder X, set the section to "test"
- assign anonymous user permissions to read section "test"
- open X in frontend
- check the full path of the "pagelayout.tpl" used, to override it. it will depend on the extension used to generate the frontend (ezflow, ezdemo, etc)
2 - making the override
- edit the "pagelayout.tpl" file with some change, save it at the path <extension>/overrides/templates/modified_pagelayout.tpl
- add to the default frontend siteaccess settings/override.ini.append.php:
- clear all caches
- open X in frontend. the modified_pagelayout.tpl is used, at bottom of debug it can be checked the correct usage.
- reload the page, view falls back to default template. the debug at bottom shows that none of the templates are overriden.